Eppendorf introduces biobased lab consumables

0
130

In Germany, laboratory consumables company Eppendorf has launched test tubes made from 90% biobased plastic. Available in sizes 5.0 mL, 15 mL, 25 mL and 50 mL, the bioplastic is made from food oil waste and residues, with the remaining 10% conventional fossil-based feedstocks. 

“Used cooking oil is not only a promising resource but it is also available in sufficient quantities,” according to a company white paper. “The potential amount of used cooking oil from commercial users in the European Union is estimated to be 4 million tons per year and more than 200 million metric tons worldwide.” 

Produced at the company’s Oldenburg, Germany facility, the tubes meet the requirements of the ISCC PLUS (International Sustainability & Carbon Certification) certification system. Additionally, sustainability of the tubes is certified by “My Green Lab®” with ACT Certificates (Accountability, Consistency, Transparency).